How can I create Cartesian Products in Python using NumPy?

Hello, I am seeking a Python code snippet, possibly utilizing NumPy, to verify the correctness of my Cartesian product calculations for two large sets provided in a school assignment. Can anyone provide me with the code for that?

1 Like

Sure @safiaa.02, here is a method that uses the np.meshgrid() function to find the cartesian product of two sample arrays:

• The np.meshgrid() function creates a 2D grid of all possible combinations of the elements in the two input 1D arrays.
  • The np.stack() function is then used to stack the flattened versions of the two 2D arrays A and B into a single 2D array cartesian_product. The axis=1 argument specifies that the arrays should be stacked horizontally.
  • The resulting cartesian_product array has n x 2 dimensions, where n is the total number of elements in the input arrays, and each row contains one pair of elements representing all possible combinations of the elements in a and b.

To find the cartesian product, you can simply use NumPy’s np.transpose, np.tile() , and np.repeat() methods. The following code example illustrates the implementation.

The code creates two one-dimensional arrays “a” and “b”, and builds the cartesian product of “a” and “b” using np.transpose(), np.tile(), and np.repeat(). The resulting cartesian product is stored in the variable “c” and printed to the console using the print() function.