In this thread, you’ll get to know about different and easy methods of converting the first character of each element in a series into an uppercase character. The methods are discussed with a simple example code and are as follows:
1. Using "str.title()" method:
str.title()method capitalizes the first character of each word in a string.
2. Using "str.capatilize()" method:
str.capitalize()method also capitalizes the first character of a string.
3. Using "apply()" with lambda method:
- In this technique, we first define a lambda function that applies the
str.upper()method to the first character of a string.
- Then we use the
apply()method to apply the lambda function to each element in the series.
4. Using "str.str.upper()" method:
- First, we use the
str.str.upper()syntax to select the first character of each element in the series, and convert it to uppercase.
- Then, we concatenate it with the rest of the string using the
str.slice()method by giving an argument of
start = 1to get a string of the word excluding the first character.
5. Using "map()" function:
map()function in Pandas allows applying any function (built-in, lambda, or custom function) to each element of a sequence of values, in our case, the sequence of values is a series.
- A simple lambda function is applied to each element which capitalizes each element using
6. Using list comprehension:
- List comprehension is another way of applying a method to each element in a sequence of values and getting the result in the form of a list.
- In this method also, the
capitalize()method is applied to each element of the series to capitalize it.
Note: In the last two methods, if you want to obtain results in the form of a series, you can convert the list into a series using