How can an array of integers be converted into a binary matrix?

I encountered a code snippet online, copied it into a code editor, and it functions properly. However, the lack of comments makes it challenging to understand its purpose. Here’s the code:

I’m seeking assistance in deciphering the code and would appreciate a more efficient alternative with a detailed explanation of the underlying concept.

1 Like

Hello @safiaa.02, the code you pasted seems to be a technique used in coding where you convert an integer array or data structure into a boolean array containing 0s and 1s. The code does seem messy and I have provided an alternate method below with an explanation for doing the same thing, I hope it helps.

• The code uses the np.bitwise_and() function to apply bitwise AND to each element of the integer array and the mask to determine which columns must be set to 1.
  • The resulting binary matrix has a shape of (4, 1, 4), where each row is a 2D array with a single row and 4 columns. Therefore, np.reshape(-1, 4) is used which flattens the binary matrix to a 2D array with 4 columns and a number of rows that is automatically calculated based on the original shape.

You can achieve your task with this concise code snippet.

This code snippet utilizes NumPy to convert a vector of integers into a binary matrix. The integers are first converted to their binary representation, and the resulting binary vectors are vertically stacked to form the binary matrix. The np.binary_repr() function is employed for the binary conversion, and the np.vstack() function is used for stacking. The final binary matrix is then printed. If you have any questions or need further clarification, feel free to ask!