What is a 2D Symmetric Array Subclass in Python and how to create it?

I was going through my Data Science course material which contained the phenomenon of creating a 2D Symmetric Array Subclass in Python using NumPy, which didn’t make any sense to me. Can anyone brief me on what is this in maybe 2-3 lines, and also explain this phenomenon using a code snippet and tell me how is the concept implemented in the code?

1 Like

Hello @safiaa.02, a symmetric array has the same values across its diagonal axis, meaning the value at the i-th row and j-th column is equal to the value at the j-th row and i-th column. These arrays are useful in linear algebra, network analysis, and graph theory. Here is how you can implement this in code:

• In this code, a custom function is created that takes a NumPy array as input and returns a new array that is symmetric along its diagonal.
  • It uses np.triu() to extract the upper triangular part of the input array. and np.tril() to extract the lower triangular part of the transposed array and k=1 is specified which means that the diagonal elements are excluded.
  • Lastly, the function adds the upper and lower triangular parts together to create a symmetric array. The resulting array has the same shape as the input array, and each element Z[i,j] is equal to Z[j,i].

I hope this will be helpful to you.