How to create an equivalent bincounted array?

I recently encountered the “np.bincount()” function, and despite consulting the documentation, I’m still unclear on its functionality. I’ve provided a simple code snippet below that utilizes this function to create an equivalent bincounted array. I’m seeking a concise and clear explanation for either this code or an alternative one with a similar purpose.

I’m seeking a concise and clear explanation for either this code or an alternative one with a similar purpose.

1 Like

Here’s an explanation of the code you’ve used:

The np.bincount() function takes a 1D integer array as input and returns a new array of non-negative integers representing the count of each element in the input array.

In your code, it creates a new NumPy array C using the following input array:

[2, 2, 2, 4, 4, 6, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8]

The resulting C array contains the counts of each integer from 0 to 8 since 8 is the maximum value in the input array. For example, the count of 0 is 0, the count of 1 is 0, the count of 2 is 3, and so on up to the count of 8 being 5. Here is how the output of it looks:

[0 0 3 0 2 0 1 0 5]

The np.repeat() function is then used which repeats each element of an input array a certain number of times, specified by a second array.

In your code, it creates a new array A that contains the repeated elements of np.arange(len(C)), which is an array of integers from 0 to the length of C minus 1 (in this case, 9). The output of np.arange(len(C)) would look like this:

[0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]

The second array is C, which specifies how many times each element of np.arange(len(C)) should be repeated. So, for example, since the count of 2 in C is 3, the first three elements of A will be 2, and since the count of 8 in C is 5, the last five elements of A will be 8.

In summary, this code demonstrates how to use np.bincount() and np.repeat() to create a new array that repeats each element of an input array according to the count of that element in the input array. I hope this explanation helped you!

You can use this alternative approach with NumPy and the itertools library to do the same task.

This code creates an array C with the counts of occurrences of each integer in a given list. It then creates a new array A using the itertools library to repeat each index from 0 to the length of C with the corresponding number of repetitions in C. The resulting array A is printed to the console.