How can I use NumPy to find the 'n' largest values?

Can someone provide different methods to identify the ‘n’ largest values using NumPy exclusively? I’m encountering challenges in implementing this functionality, and the only approach I’m familiar with involves using a Python for loop to extract the ‘nth’ largest value, which is inefficient. I’d appreciate any guidance on achieving this efficiently with NumPy.

1 Like

Hello @safiaa.02, if you want to find the n largest values in a NumPy array using NumPy, you can use the np.sort() function along with array slicing. Here is an example code that finds the 3 largest values in an array:

• The np.sort() function sorts the array in ascending order by default.
  • To get the largest values, the code reverses the sorted array using the [::-1] slicing syntax.
  • Finally, the first n elements of the reversed array are selected to get the n largest values.

I hope this code helps!

If you want to find the n largest values from a NumPy array, Here’s a concise method to discover and display the n largest values in ascending order.

• np.partition(arr, -n) : This part uses NumPy’s partition function to partition the array arr. The argument -n indicates that the last n elements in the partitioned array will be the n largest elements, and the rest will be on the left. It performs an efficient partial sort.
  • [-n:] : This part is a slicing operation. It extracts the last n elements from the result of the partition, effectively giving us the n largest values from the original array.
  • In this way we can get n largest values from an array in ascending order.