How can you efficiently filter values from a Pandas Series?

I have a task that involves filtering values between two series in Python. Specifically, I need to filter out the values from one series that are not present in the second series. Currently, I have been able to achieve this using a for loop, but I believe there must be more efficient ways or methods/functions that can make this task easier.

The reason why I need to filter values between the two series is to detect unique values in the first series. This is important for me to identify and remove duplicates in my data. Here is the code I used which involves the for loop:

I would appreciate it if anyone can provide me with alternate methods and techniques for achieving this task. Thank you!

1 Like

There are efficient methods available for doing this and one of them involves using the isin() method which checks whether each element in a Pandas dataframe or series is contained in a sequence of values which in your case is another series. The method returns a boolean mask indicating which values are in the sequence of values passed to the method.

Note: The use of ~ negates the results obtained using isin(), the values which were present in series2 now have a False and the values not in series2 have a True and we use this boolean mask to filter series1 getting those values which were only in series1.

Yes, @mubashir_rizvi I believe that there are many alternatives and efficient solutions present for every problem. For your query, I have the solution too. You can try this too.
You can use the difference() method which is used to get the difference between two set objects and returns a set containing elements present in the first set but not in the second set.

Note: This method is only applied to set objects so before applying this method, we convert the series objects into sets using the set() constructor.
I hope the above explanation helps you. Let me know if you have any confusion.

Hi @mubashir_rizvi,

Thank you for sharing your question. You are right that there are more efficient ways to filter values between two Pandas series. One approach that I would recommend is using set operations, specifically the set difference operator -, which can be applied to the two series to obtain the desired result.

Here is an example code snippet that uses this approach:

This code creates a new series result that contains the elements of ser1 that are not present in ser2. The set operations are done using the built-in Python set type and the list() function is used to convert the resulting set back to a list that can be used to create a new Pandas series.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey @mubashir_rizvi, a more efficient way compared to for loop is available in which you can use the subtraction operator. This operator can be applied to set datatypes and in the code below, we first convert the series objects into set objects using the set() constructor, after which we apply the - operator to find values which are in series1.