How to get the n’th largest value of a column?

I am seeking the expertise of the programming community for ways to obtain the nth largest value of a column in a Pandas dataframe using Python. While it is possible to extract the nth largest value by sorting the column in descending order and indexing it with the nth position, this can be inefficient and cumbersome, particularly for large datasets. I am looking for suggestions on any built-in functions or libraries that can make this process more efficient, or any clever workarounds that can achieve the desired result more easily. I would appreciate the input from the people who have tackled similar challenges before, to help me find a solution that is both effective and practical.

1 Like

Hey @nimrah, You can get the nth largest value of a column by using sort_values() and groupby() functions of Pandas.
Here is an example code to get the second largest value of a column when grouped by another column using sort_values() and groupby().

Yes, there are built-in functions that can help you achieve this, you can use nlargest() and groupby() functions together to do this. Here is an example code that shows how you can do this:

• The nlargest() function in Pandas is used to get the nth largest values in a column.
  • In the example code, this function is used to get the second-largest value of a column when grouped by another column using groupby().